The average attention span of adults online has decreased from 12 seconds in 2000 to eight seconds in 2012
Let’s think about that for a second. In eight seconds, you can’t even:
- Play one hand of poker
- Open a corked bottle of wine
- Wash your face
- Brew coffee
- Read the first paragraph of this article
If you want to grab people’s attention, you have to do so quickly.
Two important qualities of successful content: The content must be snackable and shareable. The idea is to grab the attention of readers and entice them to learn more. Numbers and symbols (i.e., % and &) help do the trick, as well.
Part of Twitter’s success is that they capitalized on this idea. We live in a world of over-sharing and people screaming, “Get to the point already!” Those who spend a lot of time online are addicted to bite-sized information they can share.
Tracy Stokes (@tstokes_forr) of Forrester Research, Inc., created an intriguing report titled “How to Build Your Brand with Branded Content” (March 2013) that provides readers with a deep-dive into the benefits of regular, branded, high-quality content. Some content marketing statistics and other resources from her report are included below. Click on a tweet link to share to your account.
Content Marketing Statistics
- 79% of marketers report their organizations are shifting into branded content. (Forrester)
- 55% of B2C marketers plan to increase their investment in branded content. (Forrester)
- Only 32% of marketers believe their organization is effective at content marketing. (Forrester)
- 60% of marketers use content marketing on a weekly basis. (eMarketer)
- The four C’s to harness the power of branded content are: capture, connect, create, and continuously measure. (Forrester)
- The most trusted marketing communications in the US are: professionally written online reviews (55%) consumer-written online reviews (46%), natural search engine results (43%), and information on brand websites (32%). (Forrester)
- 53% of organic searchers click on the first link, 85% organic, and 15% paid. (Search Engine Watch)
- 50% of marketers cite the need to produce enough engaging content as a key content marketing challenge. (Forrester)
- 67% of adults online use social networking sites. (Pew Internet)
- There are 100 billion global searches every month on Google alone. (Search Engine Land)
- Content creation ranked as the single most effective SEO tactic by 53%. (Marketing Sherpa)
- Content marketing is now a nearly $43.9-billion industry—a 9.2% increase over last year. (Custom Content Council)
Skyword Stories & Insight
- In 2012, Skyword content drove over 134 million unique visits to client sites from search and social.
- Skyword study: Articles that included at least one image saw an average increase in page views of 70%.
- The three S’s for successful content marketing: searchable, shareable, and snackable.
- A top men’s fashion brand was ranking in the top 20 results of Google and Bing for 12 keywords. Now, that brand ranks for 122 keywords after three months with Skyword.
- Skyword study: On average, news articles saw a 740% increase in views when shared socially.
- Skyword delivered 20 million unique visitors to a leading Spanish news site in 15 months.
- Quality content fuels all marketing in four areas, specifically: search, email, social and paid.
We are happy to discuss and learn more about your content strategy. Please send an email (email@example.com) to schedule a call or request a demo.